Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Early A5s on ebay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Early A5s on ebay

    I wish I could find a pair........ and have room to use them! For those that remember, I had a single cabinet with no components in storage for several years. I finally sold it to another board member that was trying to make a pair. I can't recall his username off hand, Though. He doesn't post very often. I should see if I still have his email address and see if he's had the time to restore it yet. He was talking about possibly changing the baffle board to hold two woofers.

    2 ALTEC LARGE A-5 SPEAKER SYSTEMS 805 515 N500C ! ALL ORIGINAL !! | eBay
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Early A5s on ebay

    He was talking about possibly changing the baffle board to hold two woofers.
    Interesting. It occurs to me that the horn size/flare rate and reflex volume of the cabinet are very similar to the Simplex "W" cabinets that were made by Altec in both single and dual woofer versions.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Early A5s on ebay

    Those are some real beauties.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member aditya's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 5th, 2009
    Posts
    175
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Early A5s on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I wish I could find a pair........ and have room to use them! For those that remember, I had a single cabinet with no components in storage for several years. I finally sold it to another board member that was trying to make a pair. I can't recall his username off hand, Though. He doesn't post very often. I should see if I still have his email address and see if he's had the time to restore it yet. He was talking about possibly changing the baffle board to hold two woofers.

    2 ALTEC LARGE A-5 SPEAKER SYSTEMS 805 515 N500C ! ALL ORIGINAL !! | eBay
    Yes, I remember you having one of these. You had mentioned about it sometime back. You had even posted it's outside dimensions. I am very much attracted by these VOTTs. To me they look so gorgeous,....like some special version of the A7. I have been toying with the idea of diy-ing a pair for myself for quite sometime. But in the absence of any exact cab. details, and also complete lack of feedback on the SQ, has stalled it. Recently while browsing thru my data files, I again read about them in Jim Dickinson's "Altec Large/Small VOTTs". As per him they really were good SQ-wise. By any chance did you ever happen to take the measurements of their dimensions ?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Early A5s on ebay

    Quote Originally Posted by aditya View Post
    ....like some special version of the A7.
    The H110 A5 cabinet dwarfs the 825/828 cabinet of the A7 and late A5.

    By any chance did you ever happen to take the measurements of their dimensions ?
    Not any more that what I posted. They're simply too big (wide) to get through most doors. That's why I never used the cabinet I owned. I'm still happy to have had the chance to own it.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.